Subscribe to my newsletter for the latest updates, exclusive content, special discounts, free treats, free shipping, and opportunities to join my team.

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp

Wednesday, September 04, 2024


This week has been really challenging for my dog Bailey. He loves spending time outside with his sister Gracie. They have a great time running around and playing in the yard. But recently, we had to take them to the vet for their annual check-up, and that’s when we found out something serious.

The vet told us that Bailey has heartworm. I was very worried, but thankfully, we caught it early. Early detection is really important because it gives us a better chance to treat the problem before it gets worse.
Since we found out, I’ve been doing everything I can to protect Bailey. Heartworm is caused by a parasite that is spread through mosquito bites. 

So, my big job now is to fight off those pesky mosquitoes. I have my landscaper mow the grass as short as possible every week. This helps keep the yard less appealing to mosquitoes. I also make sure there is no standing water in the yard. Mosquitoes like to lay their eggs in still water, so if we can remove any places where water collects, we can help keep mosquitoes away.

In addition to mowing the grass and removing water, I spray the yard every month with a special solution to kill bugs, including mosquitoes. It’s a lot of work, but it’s worth it to keep Bailey safe.

Bailey is now on medication to treat the heartworm. He also wears a special collar that helps protect him from mosquitoes. Even though he’s still a young pup, this medicine is very important for his health. Gracie is also getting extra care. She is on a monthly heartworm prevention medication to keep her safe from the disease.

I’m sharing all of this because if you love your pets like I do, you want to keep them safe and healthy. Regular vet check-ups are really important because they can catch health issues early, just like we did with Bailey. But there’s more you can do beyond just going to the vet.

Feeding your pets healthy food is crucial. It helps them stay strong and fight off illnesses. But you also need to take care of their environment. Make sure your backyard is clean and free from mosquitoes. Standing water is a big problem because it’s where mosquitoes breed. After it rains, check your yard for any water that might have collected in buckets, flowerpots, or other containers. Mosquitoes can lay eggs in even a small amount of water.

During the hot and dry months, mosquitoes and other bugs are more active. They come out looking for places to lay their eggs and for animals to bite. So, it’s even more important to keep your yard clean and to use treatments that kill bugs.

As a dog mama, I’m doing everything I can to protect Bailey and Gracie. I’m constantly on the lookout for anything that might harm them. It’s a big job, but it’s worth it to keep them happy and healthy.

If you have pets, remember that they rely on you for their care. They can’t protect themselves from things like mosquitoes and diseases, so it’s up to you to take care of them. Keep an eye on their health, make sure they have a good diet, and look after their living environment. By doing these things, you can help prevent health problems and avoid expensive vet bills.

Bailey and Gracie are part of our family, and we want them to live long, happy lives. Taking care of their health is a big responsibility, but it’s also a big reward. When you see them playing and enjoying their time outside, it makes all the effort worth it.

So, if you love your pets, take the time to protect them from things like heartworm and mosquitoes. It’s not always easy, but it’s one of the most important things you can do for them. With a little effort, you can help keep them safe and healthy, and that’s what every pet owner wants.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Embark on a journey with me where faith, Filipino food, organic pet food, and journaling intersect. Discover insightful perspectives, practical tips, and inspiring stories. Follow my blog to stay connected and inspired! Feel free to share my blog with others who might enjoy it!

Disclosure: My lifestyle blog partners with several brands and sponsor ads. This means when you click on product links on my site and make a purchase, I may earn a commission from these partners. This helps support my blog and allows me to continue providing you with valuable content. Thank you for your support!